Dirty dishes coming out of your GE dishwasher model GSD6600GBB often indicates a malfunctioning component is preventing the appliance from cleaning your kitchenware, properly. While clogged spray arms, a faulty water inlet valve or a broken detergent dispenser are all common causes of a non-cleaning dishwasher, a damaged or clogged sump filter is a malfunction that is sometimes overlooked. When the sump filter becomes congested due to an accumulation of food particles, the dishwasher’s water pressure lowers, meaning its cleaning ability declines. If you attempt to clean the sump filter, but find it impossible to fully remove the debris stuck to its walls, replacing the component is your next step.
Appliance Repair Safety Tips
- Always begin a repair by unplugging your appliance and turning off its water supply.
- Wear work gloves and safety goggles to keep your hands and eyes safe as you replace your dishwasher’s sump filter.
- If you run into any issues during your dishwasher repair, please stop what you’re doing and contact an appliance repair specialist.
How to Replace the Sump Filter in Your GE dishwasher
- Open your dishwasher door and slide out the lower dish rack.
- With the dish rack out of the way, remove the lower spray arm by lifting it up and turning it counterclockwise.
- Now turn the fine filter hub nut counterclockwise and lift it out of your dishwasher.
- Grab the fine filter and rock it back and forth to loosen it. Then, pick it up and remove it from the dishwasher tub.
- Detach the water supply tube by pressing the tab at the base of the tube. Next, turn the water supply hub to the left so it no longer blocks the sump filter.
- Remove the sump filter cover. Then, insert a putty knife in-between the filter and the dishwasher floor. Perform this task on both sides of the filter. Once the sump filter is loose, pull it out of its housing and take it out of your dishwasher.
- Grab the new sump filter and push it into its housing. Make sure the part locks in place; otherwise, you’ll end up with more issues than you started with.
- As you rotate the water supply hub clockwise, insert the water supply tube into the hub. Once the two parts are secure, reinstall the fine filter.
- Replace the fine filter hub nut, and turn it clockwise to lock it down. Then, reinstall the lower spray arm by putting it on top of the hub nut and rotating it clockwise.
- Slide the dis rack back into the dishwasher and close the dishwasher door to finish your repair.
If you replaced the sump filter and your dishwasher is still not cleaning your dishes, please contact us today, and we’ll help you repair your appliance.