If you notice a burning smell when you turn on your oven, you need to investigate right away. This is not a good sign. You probably need to replace the electrical cord to your oven.
Signs Your Electrical Cord Needs Replaced
- Your oven is not heating correctly.
- You notice a burning smell when you turn on your oven.
- There are burn marks on the terminal connection.
- There is visible damage to the electrical cord.
Supplies You Will Need To Replace Your Electrical Cord
- Hex Screwdriver
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Masking Tape
- New Electrical Cord
How To Replace Your Electrical Cord
You can replace the electrical cord to your oven oven on your own, or you can hire an Appliance Repair Cleveland company to replace the it for you. Follow the steps below to replace the electrical cord to your oven by yourself.
- Turn off the electricity to the oven at the breaker box. This is the most important step; you do not want to get electrocuted.
- If you are dealing with a gas oven, you need to shut off the gas valve. Once it is shut off, you need to remove the service line from the oven.
- Now that the electricity is off, you need to unplug the cord.
- You will need a hex screwdriver to remove the panel on the back of your stove that covers the area where the cord is attached to your oven.
- Once the panel is removed, take the masking tape and label each cord so that you know what terminal it connects to.
- Use your screwdriver to remove the fasteners that hold each cord in place to the contact terminal.
- Take the new cord and attach each part of the cord to the terminal. Use the labels you placed on the old cord to help you correctly attach the new cord to the terminal.
- Once the new cord is attached properly, reattach the back panel to the oven.
- Plug in the oven cord to the electrical outlet. If you have a gas oven, reattach the gas line to the oven. Then, turn the gas back on and turn the electrical breaker to the oven back on.
If you need more information on how to diagnose and fix the electrical cord to your oven, please contact us.