Appliance Repair Tips: Why is My Microwave Sparking or Smoking

Alex HService Comments

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrShare on Google+Pin on PinterestDigg thisShare on RedditBuffer this page

A microwave supplies you with a quick and uncomplicated means of cooking certain foods, however if care is not taken when operating the appliance, malfunctions can take place. A common issue that many owners face is sparking and smoking, which is usually caused by incorrect use. If your microwave is experiencing this problem, the three tips provided below may help you solve your dilemma.

Improper Cleaning 

Whether your warming up leftovers or cooking your lunch in the microwave, covering the food with a microwave safe material is key to stopping splatters from occurring. When splatters do happen and you neglect to clean them immediately, the food residue left behind may end up overheating which can cause smoke to generate in the appliance. To prevent this issue from transpiring, you must clean up all spills promptly by simply wiping down the microwaves interior with warm soapy water.

Incorrect Cooking Supplies 

Placing any type of metal material in your microwave will result in sparking and high voltage arcing. High voltage arcing is extremely dangerous and can cause severe damage to your appliance or even start a fire. Unfortunately, you may not always be aware of the metal in your dishware, and that’s why using plates and containers labeled as microwave safe is so important for your safety and your microwaves health. Remember, even the thinnest metal trimming around a plate or a staple in a tea bag can produce sparks in your appliance.

Overcooking Food 

A microwave cooks much faster than an oven, which means you must be careful when you use it to heat your food. Allowing an item to cook for too long can end in a smoky mess or even a fire. The first step to preventing overheating is knowing your microwave’s wattage and power level. The owners manual will provide you with the proper information and if you don’t have the manual any longer, there should be a label on the inside that lists the appliance’s wattage and power details. The second step to not overcooking food in your microwave is refraining from leaving your appliance unattended when it’s in use. Staying in the room allows you to handle any issues before they become too serious.

When your appliance is sparking or smoking, especially if it’s coming from the vents, you may be dealing with a serious electrical problem. If this is the case, immediately turn your appliance off and unplug it until you can have it inspected by a professional microwave appliance repair company.

If you are unhappy with your microwave’s performance or another appliance in your home is malfunctioning, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to assist you.