Buying a new appliance is exciting! You can’t wait to relegate that old fridge to the garage or that washer/dryer combo to the curb. You are looking forward to getting that new unit home and up and running.
Many appliance stores offer delivery and set up for a small fee. However, if you are of the DIY persuasion and plan to do the setup, here we provide you some helpful tips on unboxing and setting up your new appliance as well as where to locate the model numbers and serial numbers of different Whirlpool Appliances. Your model and serial number are important, especially for appliance repair services. Ordering parts for your unit depends 100% on these two numbers – not all replacement parts fit all models.
Installation of Whirlpool Refrigerator (Model WRT318FMDB)
Look for a label located inside the refrigerator compartment on the sidewall above the top shelf–this has the model and the serial number of your fridge. These can also be found within the first few pages of your owner’s manual. However, several models may be listed due to their similarities; you should always confirm the numbers with the plates or stickers attached to your appliance.
- Remove all packing materials. If your refrigerator is on a shipping pallet, remove any shipping bolts and other shipping materials before setting it up. Verify you have received all parts listed in the Owner’s Manual that should be included with the refrigerator.
- Ensure your new refrigerator is in a well-ventilated area where the temperature range is >55 degrees F and <110 degrees F.
- Check door swing clearance on the freezer and refrigerator doors.
- After deciding whether your doors will have a right-swing or left swing, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to switch the door/door handles if necessary (Refer to the Owner’s Manual).
- Check for a water supply for the ice maker. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installing the ice maker (refer to the Owner’s Manual). Allow plenty of tubing to pull the refrigerator out, and it doesn’t crimp.
- Check to make sure the doors are straight – adjust as necessary.
- Ensure the refrigerator is level. Have someone assist you in tilting the refrigerator back – support it on a block while you adjust the legs.
- Make sure the water to the ice maker is turned on.
- Plug the refrigerator in and slide into place.
Tips for Common Problems
You should feel the frigid air filling the refrigerator immediately.If your refrigerator is not cooling:
- Check the temperature settings.
- Leave the door closed for 30 min and check again.
- Condenser fan may not be working – Call Fred’s Appliance Services.
- Evaporator fan may not be spinning– Call Fred’s Appliance Services.
- Rattling noises – Unplug the refrigerator and check for any packing material stuck in the fan –Call Fred’s Appliance Service if unable to resolve.
Installation of Whirlpool® Cabrio Washer (Model WTW8500DW)
You can find the model number on a rating plate or sticker. They are located on the inside of the door/lid, the side or at the back of the appliance. The serial number of your unit should be on the same plate/sticker. These can also be found within the first few pages of your owner’s manual. However, several models may be listed due to their similarities; you should always confirm the numbers with the plates or stickers attached to your appliance.
- Remove all packing materials Remove any shipping materials from the washer tub as well. If your washer is on a shipping pallet, remove any shipping bolts and other shipping materials before setting it up.
- Verify you have received all parts listed in the Owner’s Manual that should be included with the washer.
- Connect the hoses at the back of the washer. Use channel pliers to tighten snuggly – do not over-tighten.
- Connect the hoses to the respective water sources, hot-to-hot, and cold-to-cold.
- Slide the washer’s drain hoses into the drain. Your machine may have drain hoses designed to hook into a wall-mounted drain.
- Set the washer in place, level the legs, plug it in, and it should be ready to go. Make sure your water valves are turned on.
- Run the washer on empty (small load setting) to ensure it is working properly
Tips for Common Problems
Motor runs but doesn’t tub doesn’t agitate
- If the motor runs and is pumping water, the belt will need to be tightened. Call Fred’s Appliance Services
Washer fills too slowly
- Possible low water pressure into your home –Call Fred’s Appliance Services
- Hoses may be kinked
Water on the floor
- Ensure that the drain hose is seated properly
- Possible bad pump seal – Call Fred’s Appliance Services
The tub is off balance
- Re-distribute the load and re-start
Installation of Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer Model (WED8000DW)
The serial number and model are on a sticker or rating plate found on the inside of the dryer door, the side, or at the back of the appliance. These can also be found within the first few pages of your Owner’s Manual. However, other models may be listed due to their similarities; you should always confirm the numbers with the plates or stickers attached to your appliance.
Refer to the Installation Guide.
- Once you’ve uncrated and removed all the shipping and packing materials, you’re ready to set up your dryer.
- Dryers require good airflow to dry laundry efficiently. Proper ventilation reduces drying times and improves energy savings. Blocked, kinked, or crushed vent hoses will reduce airflow and performance.
- A dedicated 15 or 20-amp circuit is required for gas dryers, and a 30-amp circuit is required for electric dryers.
- A grounded electrical outlet should be within 2 ft. of the dryer if using a power supply.
- Ensure the floor is level; if the slope is greater than 1″, automatic cycle sensors may not operate correctly.
- Dryers installed in a garage should at least 18″ above the floor.
- Steam models only: You can use the water supply from your washer with the “Y” connector and hose provided. IMPORTANT: Do not install or operate a dryer where temperatures drop below 45° F
- Once you get the electrical or gas connected (Refer to the Electrical/Gas Requirements section of the Installation Guide), it’s time to install the vent. Follow installation guidelines for a vent hood and vent hose.
- Use the straightest path between the dryer and the vent exhaust. Use the right size clamps to secure the vent hose to the dryer as well as the exhaust.
- Plug your unit in, and it’s ready to go.
Appliance installation can be challenging, especially gas dryers. Our professionally trained technicians at Fred’s Appliance Services work hard to provide stellar appliance repair service throughout Cleveland and Northeast Ohio. They will ensure your appliance is connected safely and complies with all electrical codes.
For the best in class service on a new installation or repair needs for any appliance, whether a Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, JennAir, or Kitchenaid, contact Fred’s Appliance Services today.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.