If the light is out in your GE refrigerator model GTE21GSHSS and a new bulb didn’t fix the problem, you are most likely dealing with a malfunctioning door switch. Luckily, replacing your fridge’s door switch is an uncomplicated repair, and should only take a few minutes. To help you accomplish this do-it-yourself project, we’ve created an easy to follow the guide below.
How to Replace Your Refrigerator’s Door Switch
- Putty knife
- New door switch wr23x20371
Safety First: Before starting any type of refrigerator repair, unplug your appliance. Wearing work gloves and safety goggles is a must. Please read through the step by step guide provided before tackling this repair. If at any point you don’t feel confident, stop what you are doing and call a local appliance repair professional to complete the job.
- Open your refrigerator’s fresh food door and locate the door switch. Once you’ve found the switch, examine it to find out whether there is a screw holding it in place or not. If there is, use a screwdriver to remove it, and if there isn’t carefully pry the switch out of its housing with a putty knife. You may want to tape the edge of the knife to avoid damaging the inside of your appliance.
- Gently pull the switch out to expose an inch or two of the wires. There will be either two wires, meaning the switch only controls your refrigerator’s light or four wires, which indicates the switch controls the light and the fan. Before you begin detaching the wires from the switch, label each one. This will make putting them back where they belong easier. To remove the wires, carefully pull them out by the connectors.
- Connect the wires to the new door switch’s terminals. Once the wires are secure, either snap the switch back into its housing or reattach the screw you removed earlier.
- Plug your refrigerator back in and test the door switch by opening and closing the fresh food door.
If the light is still malfunctioning in your refrigerator or you have concerns about another appliance in your home, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to help you.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.