Improper use and malfunctioning appliances can cause your energy bill to skyrocket. Finding ways to reign in your energy cost is easier than you may think. Listed below are 7 tips that will lighten your energy use and save you money each month.
1. Reducing your dryers energy use is as simple as cleaning the lint filter after every load. Not only is a build up of lint dangerous due to the risk of fire, but it can also increase the time it takes your appliance to dry your clothes. Thoroughly cleaning your appliance’s entire venting system at least once year with a vent cleaning brush is also highly recommended. At the end of the day, proper air flow versus improper air flow is the difference between an efficient dryer and an energy guzzling appliance.
2. When your refrigerator looses cold air due to an ineffective door gasket, the appliance is forced to work overtime just to maintain an appropriate temperature. Simply cleaning a dirty seal or replacing a damaged one can help decrease your home’s energy use.
3. While we don’t suggest overloading your dishwasher, we do recommend holding off on a wash cycle until the appliance is fully loaded. When you run your dishwasher in smaller loads, you waste energy and water.
4. When it comes to use your washer machine, be sure to set the correct load size before beginning a cycle, and when you can, stick to running the wash with cold water instead of hot.
5. Refrain from opening your oven’s door multiple times while it’s in use. Doing so causes it to loose heat. Like your refrigerator, your oven’s door seal should be kept clean, and in good repair, so heat is not allowed to escape.
6. If you’re concerned with an appliance’s performance, hiring an appliance repair company to take a look at it can help you determine if its efficiency level is dropping. Correcting the issue in a timely manner will end up saving you from spiking energy levels and money wasted.
7. Replacing older appliances that do not stand up to today’s energy efficient appliances, is a wise move. Though, you may be reluctant to spend the money, in the long run you’ll end up saving hundreds of dollars a year.
If you have questions about the performance level of your appliances or you’re looking for tips on decreasing their energy use, please contact us, and we’ll be more than happy to help you.