Over time, the wire shelves inside of your fridge can start to look worn down and worn out. If the wire shelves inside of your fridge look like this, with a few appliance repair parts, you can have your old shelves looking like new again.
- Dishwashing Soap
- Steel Wool
- Drop Cloth
- Rust Inhibiting Metal Etching Spray Primer
- Appliance Epoxy Spray Paint
You can find the metal etching spray primer and the appliance epoxy spray paint at your local paint store, hardware store or appliance repair store. Once you have all the supplies gathered, you can get to work refinishing your shelves.
- First, you need to remove the shelves from your fridge and either take them to the bathtub to clean them or take them outside near a hose to clean them.
- Thoroughly clean the shelves using the dishwashing soap and the steel wool pad. The dishwashing soap will help remove any food or grease that has built up on the racks, and the steel wool will prepare the racks for the primer.
- Rinse the shelves and allow them to dry off completely.
- If the shelves are not outside already, take them outside or to your garage and lay them down on top of a drop cloth. You will want to apply the primer and appliance epoxy in a well ventilated area.
- Spray the shelves with the rust inhibiting metal etching spray primer. You will want to hold the spray about 8 to 12 inches away from the shelves for the best results.
- Allow the shelves to dry for about an hour. Once the primer is completely dry, flip the shelves over and apply the primer to the other side. Allow the shelves to dry again before moving onto the next step.
- Spray the shelves with the appliance epoxy spray paint. Just like with the etching spray primer, keep the spray about 8 to 12 inches away from the shelves for the best results. Allow the paint to dry before flipping the shelves over and spraying the other side.
Once both sides of the shelves have been sprayed with the appliance epoxy spray paint and allowed to dry, return them to your fridge. Your shelves and your fridge will feel and look new and refreshed. Please contact us for more appliance repair tips and advice.