Although it is reassuring to know that Fred’s Appliance Repair is ready to fix your appliance if it breaks, there are some simple ways to maintain your appliances and avoid a repair. Here are a few easy ways to avoid a major dishwasher appliance repair and keep your dishwasher running smoothly:
- Use your dishwasher regularly. Frequent use of the dishwasher reduces the need for heavy duty cleaning.
- Don’t overload! It may be tempting to overload the dishwasher after a big meal or holiday gathering. Overloading prevents your dishwasher from effectively cleaning each dish.
- Clean the dishwasher using 2 cups of vinegar. Just pour 2 cups of vinegar into the bottom of your dishwasher and run it through a short wash cycle. Also, you can scrub any visible residue using a sponge.
- Scrape off heavy food particles. The dishwasher will clean your dishes more effectively if food is scraped off before running the dishes through a cycle.
- Run hot water before starting the dishwasher. Water should be set at 120 degrees. Dishes will come out cleaner if the dishwasher uses only hot water during the cycle. Running hot water will also benefit your plumbing by preventing your pipes from freezing during the winter.
- Clear out the garbage disposal. Your dishwasher and your garbage disposal may use the same drain. Make sure that the drain is clear before your dishwasher enters the draining portion of its cycle.
- Replace worn out hoses. When hoses become brittle and form cracks, they can leak water, creating a bigger problem. Make sure all hoses are tightly sealed.
- Check the rubber gasket around the door. When the rubber gasket becomes loose or worn out, it need to be replaced.
- Clean the spray arm and removable filter. Poke a pipe cleaner or wire through any holes to clean them out.
- Lastly, a routine tune-up by our appliance repair experts can keep your dishwasher running for years to come! An expert can quickly replace damaged parts and get your dishwasher operating at its full efficiency.
For more information on appliance repair, contact us!